World’s tallest statue is an engineering marvel
The Statue of Unity is a monument dedicated to Indian independence movement leader Sardar Vallabhbhai Pate. Designed by Indian sculptor Ram V. Sutar whcih is inaugrated by the India’s leading visonary Narendra Modi . Ready in a record 33 months, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will today inaugurate Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel’s statue, known as the Statue of Unity, in the Narmada district of Gujarat. Against the picturesque backdrop of Vindhyachal and Satpura mountain ranges and the Narmada river, the giant memorial is the world’s tallest statue at 600 feet and is expected to be a major tourist destination in Gujarat.
Conceptualised as Sardar Patel walking on the Narmada river towards the Sardar Sarovar dam, the design of the statue took a lot of brainstorming among experts due to various challenges related to its location, height and pose. The bronze statue is now nothing less than an engineering marvel.
It was on this day, five years ago, when Narendra Modi, then chief minister of Gujarat, had laid down the foundation stone for the project. Now once again, on the occasion of Sardar Vallabhai Patel’s birthday, will Modi be there at the spot, but this time to inaugurate the Statue of Unity as prime minister.
— All India Radio News (@airnewsalerts) October 30, 2018
It is located facing the Narmada Dam, 3.2 km (2.0 mi) away on the river island called Sadhu Bet near Rajpipla in Gujarat. The monument along with its surroundings occupies over 20,000 square metres, and is surrounded by a 12 square km artificial lake. It is the world’s tallest statue with the height of 182 metres (597 ft). Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Rashtriya Ekta Trust (SVPRET), a special purpose vehicle was established by the Government of Gujarat for its construction and the outreach programme was carried out across India starting December 2013.
Initially the total cost of the project was estimated to be about ₹3,001 crore (US$420 million) by the Government of India. Later Larsen & Toubro won the contract in October 2014 for its lowest bid of ₹2,989 crore (US$420 million) for the design, construction and maintenance, which further sub-leased the bronze cladding of the statue to TQ Art Foundry, part of the Jiangxi Toqine Metal Crafts Co Ltd. in Nanchang, China. The construction was started on 31 October 2013 and completed in mid-October 2018.
Some facts about Statue of Unity.
- Construction time of the Statue of Unity is fixed at 42 months.
- 5700Mton of structural steel & reinforcement bars of 18500Mton will be used to bulid the statue of Unity.
- Iron collected from the ‘LOHA CAMPAIGN‘ willbe melted converted to rebar & used in the foundation of the Statue of Unity.
- You will be able to see the Sadar dam and its 200km long Reservair , Satpura and Vindhya mountain ranges form the gallery of the Statue of Unity.
- Flowers will be grown on the hillocks adjoining the statue to make the 230-hectare area look like a “valley of flowers”, the officials said.
- The museum will have 40,000 documents, 2,000 photographs and a research centre dedicated to Sardar Patel’s life.
- The statue will have a viewing gallery at the height of 193 metres from the sea level which can accommodate 200 visitors at a time.
- The core of the statue is made up of reinforced concrete, but its surface that gives it a distinct design, has been created using 553 bronze panels, with each panel having 10 to 15 micro panels.
- The engineers had to be extra cautious in ensuring that the monument had the capability to withstand heavy winds of up to 130 km per hour and earthquakes up to 6.5 on Richter scale.